Awards, Honours, Achievements and Citations
MEMBER (AM) IN THE GENERAL DIVISION OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA
- For significant services to the arts, particularly for music education, as an academic, composer and publisher, and to professional organisations.
- Doctor of Philosophy Griffith University; 2012 (Thesis: Why Do I Compose)
- Master of Arts (Research) Queensland University of Technology; 1997 (Thesis: A Symphony For Wind Orchestra: Artistic Practice as Research)
- Bachelor of Arts (double music major) University of Queensland; 1992
- Associate of Music Australia (trumpet performance); awarded 1978
- Made ‘Patron of the Maryborough Music Conference’, Australia’s largest music education event, July 2009. This is the most prestigious accolade given by Education Queensland for significant contributions to music education in that state.
MIDWEST INTERNATIONAL AWARD
- Recipient of the 2005 Midwest Clinic International Award in recognition of his international contributions to music education, presented by the Board of Directors of the Midwest Clinic, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
CITATION OF EXCELLENCE
- Recipient of the Citation of Excellence, the Australian Band & Orchestra Directors’ Association’s highest honour. Award made in 1998 and only the second such award made by ABODA in its history to that date.
HERITAGE ENCYCLOPAEDIA OF BAND
- Citation with historical commentary and listing of works composed and published. Published by Integrity Press, Westerville, Ohio.
YAMAHA COMPOSER OF THE YEAR AWARD
- 1985 for An Australian Rhapsody
- 1987 for Pacific Preamble
REVIEWS OF COMPOSITIONS
- Reviews of published works have appeared in journals both in Australia and internationally. They include such publications as:
- The Instrumentalist (USA)
- Winds (UK)
- Bandworld (USA)
- Japan Band Journal
- WASBE Journal